Monday 28 March 2011

Evaluation - Progression from preliminary task

Looking back at your preliminary task, what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to the full product?


Looking back at my preliminary task, I feel I have improved my magazine creating skills and techniques dramatically. Although the conventions and styles of both magazines are completely different, it was a helpful way to help me create my final music magazine product. When I created both magazines I took the conventions into consideration according to the genre of which the magazine was aimed at. However I feel I displayed these conventions better in the final music magazine product rather than in the school magazine I originally made. As I had already created a magazine prior to making my final product it meant that I could see where I needed to develop my skills further in order to make a more proffessional end product. Through planning and making drafts I was able to take photographs which suited the pop music genre and would appeal to my target audience. Also, the photos had a much more professional look compared to the photo I used for my preliminary task showing that I have developed my skills. The layout of my final magazine  product is more typical of a magazine layout and looks more appealing and easy on the eye. The colour scheme is a lot more attractive and stands out as the colours compliment each other which shows I have understood the concept of conventions as I have developed my techniques further. Also, the fonts used are much more appealing than the ones used in my pleliminary task. This is because they are bolder and are more suitable for a music magazine cover. The costume of the model in my final product will appeal to my target audience as it is very feminine and fashionable which makes the final design more attractive. From creating my product, I feel that I have learnt how to effectively construct a magazine taking into consideration all the conventions and concepts of a typical magazine. All the elements of my product suit my specific target audience so that it appeals to them meaning they will be more likely to buy and be interested in the magazine. By aiming my magazine at a specific audience it ensured the audience will enjoy reading it. Below shows how I have improved from creating my preliminary task to my final product.
 






The pictures show a strong comparison, which prove I have developed dramatically. I think I have improved my skills greatly from my original preliminary task which is visible here. Both magazines are aimed at different audiences and are about completely different things however, my final product does a much better job of following the conventions and appealing to the target audience. Therefore I believe many more people would be interested in my final product and would be more likely to read it. The layout of the two magazines has greatly developed. For example the preliminary task magazine doesn't really relate to the route of eye principle whereas   in my final product this principle is clearly displayed showing that I have understood the concept. Also, I believe the principle of thirds is shown better in my final product too. I believe I have improved my photo taking and editing skills too which gave me a much more professional look in the final product. The final product displays that I was able to compose the shot better and use mise-en-scene to the best of my abilities which would appeal to the target audience effectively. The fonts I chose to use for my final product work well together and are very bold and eye catching. All the fonts I used are suitable for a front cover as they would catch the audiences eye meaning they would be more interested. I researched similar magazines to get an idea of what fonts looked good on a front cover. Before deciding upon the final fonts I tested many others to see which looked the best and finally came to a decision of which stood out the most. However, in the preliminary task I used very basic and bland fonts which were not particularly appealing due to very little research and planning. 


Through doing my preliminary task and from research and planning my ability to construct an effective and professional final magazine product has greatly improved. I feel I can now take every aspect of the conventions of a magazine and use them effectively to create a good product. These techniques have helped me develop my final product to make it look as professional as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment